October is Fire Prevention Month
--By Staff Writer on --
October is Fire Prevention Month and the Forsyth County Fire Department is pleased to provide the following safety tips to help keep you and your family safe.
- Install smoke detectors on every level of your home and near each bedroom.
- Place fire extinguishers in the areas of the kitchen, laundry room, fireplace and garage.
- Replace cracked, broken or frayed electrical cords.
- Never run extension cords under rugs or carpet.
- Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
- Keep candles and all open flames away from flammable liquids.
- Never leave cooking equipment unattended. If you must leave the room, even for a short amount of time, turn off the stove.
- Never burn paper in a fireplace. The heat generated is far too intense for a residential fireplace.
- Keep space heaters at least three feet from people and from items that can burn, such as curtains.
- In case of emergency, dial 911.